Dear bootAble users,
It has been a long time since I was able to really work on bootAble (the
previous release was from March 2013…). I am therefore very pleased to
be able to announce the a new release today!
Version 6.10 contains quite a number of new features and improvements.
Most notably it now has support for QSINIT, Air-Boot, and MiniLVM and
Firefox and Seamonkey seem to work quite well using the latest available
release for OS/2 (though some websites, most notably the google
homepage, still crash the application when run from a bootAble environment).
Thanks go especially to Doug Bissett. His perseverance and help to get
eCS to run in a VirtualBox VM on my Mac have given me the ability to
continue developing bootAble in a much more productive environment than
The new version can be downloaded from the bootAble website
Bug reports and feedback are most welcome!
* Added support for QSINIT (|QSINIT|);
* Added support for QSINIT's ram disk (|HD4DISK|);
* Added support for Air-Boot (|AIRBOOT|);
Note: As a convenience, an |airboot2.cmd| command is created that
will allow you to start the air-boot installer (|airboot2.exe|)
without having to first go to the directory where the |airboot.bin|
file is located.
* Added support for the Maintenance & Installation Volume Manager
* Added a setting for the Virtual Address Limit
(|VIRTUALADDRESSLIMIT|, default taken from the user's |config.sys|
* Changed the default for |TCPIPLEAN| to |No| as the lean versions of
the TCPIP code do not work with all software (most notably not with
the mozilla software);
* When unzipping archives any file matching is now done case insensitive;
* Adding the |b2z.dll| that is part of the newer unzip versions. Note
too that the newer zip and unzip require |GCCRT| which is NOT
enabled by default;
* Added config file for the INI file editor (|bootAble.initor|);
Note: when started from the command-line Initor might give an
“Error” and refuse to close, killing the process still works though.
When started from the Initor program object, this issue does not occur…
* Updated |bootAble.firefox|, |bootAble.thunderbird|, and
|bootAble.seamonkey| to support the latest & known to be working
versions (31.8.0b5, 31.8.0, and 2.28b5r2 respectively).
* Adapted |bootAble.dfsee| to the latest dfsee distribution (13.x) and
change of the location of the os/2-only files to |bin| instead of
* Adapted |bootAble.pmview|, it now prefers version 3 over version 2.
It will furthermore ask for the source directory if PMView isn't
installed (or a version different from 2 or 3 is installed);
* Adapted |bootAble.amouse| to include all found language versions and
made sure that it doesn't override the system version of the USB
Mouse driver with aMouse's version if this should not be done
(controlled by |APP_AMOUSE_REPLACE_USBMOUSE|);
* The XWorkplace settings are now taken over from the current
installation instead of defaulted.
* Improved support for VirtualBox additions;
Files are now always placed on the “CD” to maintain the long file
names and into their own |\OS2Additions| directory (just as with the
Enabling the VirtualBox additions also enforces |GCCRT|.
* Now including /all/ |gcc| and |libc| dlls when |GCCRT| is enabled
(the source is set using |GCCRTSOURCE|);
* You can now force asking a question using |defaultIfNotSet()| even
if a default value is given (previously it would only ask if the
variable was not previously set /and/ the provided default value was
empty. To do this, use |'ASKIFNOTSET'| as the third parameter to
* Major cleanup of html documentation.
Arca Noae has posted a new item, 'Subscription renewal discounts'
Did you know that the value of your Arca Noae Drivers & Software Subscription
grows year over year?
Renewals are subject to a 10% discount when ordered within a month of
expiration. We've also implemented renewal reminder emails to make renewing your
subscription easier. If you renewed by making another full purchase, we'll be
getting in [...]
You may view the latest post at
We at Arca Noae would like to thank our development partners, bww bitwise works,
GmbH and Netlabs.org for their continued contribution to the OS/2 platform.
Monetary contributions to offset their operations costs may be made either
through Arca Noae at https://www.arcanoae.com or bww bitwise works, GmbH at
You received this e-mail because you asked to be notified when new updates are